For some of you this is already known, but I know there are users who are not aware of the power of the Paste Special Dialog.
Suppose you have been asked to create a budget for next year. The budget will be based on last year’s sales figures and the budget should be 10% more than last year.
As usual, there are several ways to skin a cat. A quick method to achieve it is to use the Paste Special Dialog. The following screenshot shows the details:
- First, we enter 1.1 (which represents the 10% increase) in an empty cell in the worksheet.
- Next, we copy the source, i.e. the cell that holds the value.
- Then we select the targeted range of data that is to be increased with 10%.
- Next, we select the command
Paste Special..from the menu by Right-Clicking on the targeted range.
- In the Dialog we select the operation
Multiplyand then hit the
The output of the operation is shown in the following screenshot:
In my opinion, this is an excellent way to quickly update a range of data.
Explore more powerful features of Microsoft Excel with our 15-hour comprehensive Course here.